Monday, March 30, 2009

Class Web Pages Part III

So I am basically finished with my website and I have to say I definitely liked creating a site to use for a classroom.

The only thing I found challenging (after I figured out how to save my work) was what kind of homework I should give and what books/software I should include for my lists. I think the only reason I had difficulty was because I wasn’t sure exactly what a 3rd grade science class consisted of; but I did research and was able to find material to help answer my questions.

I think having a class website is a great tool in keeping students and parents up to date on school activities, homework and readings. I can only see having a classroom website as something that gets bigger and bigger and more a part of the norm in school settings.

Since our society is becoming more and more dependent on technology I wouldn’t be surprised if in the near future websites will be the main source of getting information to students and their families. No more sending papers home solely relying on the student to inform their parents, especially because a lot of times students either forget or lose the information.

3 comments:

  1. You explained, "Since our society is becoming more and more dependent on technology I wouldn’t be surprised if in the near future websites will be the main source of getting information to students and their families."

    What do you think of this? Is it good/bad/inevitable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it can be looked at in a number of ways – good, bad and inevitable.

    Good because the information will be given to students and their parents/guardians in a quick and reliable manner. No more playing telephone between student and parent on what they have to do for homework and what is going on in class; especially because most of the time kids don’t want to talk to their parents about school. So now parents will know exactly what is happening and not be hit with any surprises along the way.

    Relying solely on technology is bad for the families who do not have the money for a computer and access to the internet. They won’t be able to see what is going on at any given moment, so teachers will still need to have means of informing those parents to be just as knowledgeable as families who can log onto the internet whenever they choose.

    It’s also inevitable because as time goes on more people are becoming internet savvy, it doesn’t matter what age you are any longer; it is so easy to learn how to use the internet that anyone and everyone is emailing, googling, you name it. It’s also a lot easier for people to get on the internet by going to the library, bringing their laptops to Panera Bread and Starbucks to use their Wi-Fi and even on their cell phone now. People like to know what is going on at any given moment so for that reason also the internet is inevitable.

    If I had to choose one I would say good bc it can really help parents and students be more involved in school life. Having all of these fun activities online makes learning math or science that much more interesting and almost like a game to kids and can hopefully help make test scores higher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totatlly agree. Society is depending more and more on technology. Children do often either lose information given to them to give to their parents or forget. However, the school home page keeps parents, students and teachers involved on what is going on inside of his or her classroom. It is information for the parents at his or her finger tips. It keeps the communication line open between teacher and parent.

    ReplyDelete