Tuesday, February 3, 2009

NETS & NJCCCS

I think it is fantastic that there are standards that need to be met within the classroom for educational technology. So much of our environment depends on technology that kids really need to have a firm grasp of everything that relies on it. Today most careers require knowledge of different computer systems and to be able to fix minor problems in the work place. It is definitely a challenge that I think all teaching professionals need to meet and go beyond the expectations set by NETS and NJCCCS.

My question if any working teacher in the class know, is how are these standards being implemented in the schools? There are a variety of schools out there, some of which do not have the funding to have enough computers or enough teachers who specialize in technology. Teachers coming into the work force now will have a vast knowledge of technology because that is what they have grown up with in school and personal life, what about teachers who do not have this knowledge, are all school districts taking the proper steps to meet the requirement. I know Chapter 12 of the text book stated that in-service teachers can meet their requirements by enrolling in college classes or by attending in district workshops, but is this actually happening? And are districts being followed up on to make sure each teacher has met the standard requirements?

1 comment:

  1. From my experience Monica(11 years teaching in a public school)I don't see enough veteran teachers making an effort to improve their knowledge of technology. Our school does offer several workshops and professional day opportunities as well as a yearly in-service day that often addresses implementation of technology in the classroom but most of the time it falls on deaf ears. I feel like I am on the borderline of the technology line. People who have been teaching longer than me have less knowledge of technology than I do and the younger teachers have far more. I feel I have a pretty good idea of what I am doing and am eager to learn more, but I cannot say the same for the older generation of teachers. Many are completely intimidated and fear computers. I have a department member who does not know how to send an email! I believe administrators are in a difficult position with this. Many tenured teachers feel no need to change what they have been doing for years. I often hear "I worked the last 20 years without a computer, why change now!" This is just my observation and I'm sure it is not the same everywhere, but I hope it gives you a little idea of what is going on in schools today.

    ReplyDelete