Monday, April 27, 2009

Lesson Plans

I’m not going to lie, I was a little nervous when doing this week’s lesson plan assignment mainly because I’ve never done one before. I wasn’t sure what exactly needed to be in a lesson plan and how you can tell how long it will take to complete.

I did a lot of research on line to check out other lesson plans similar to what I wanted to do so I can get a frame of how long it should take to complete and what type of assessments would work best, etc.

I ended up finding some cute ideas for projects to do with students, for this lesson and for others. There are so many great resources out there for teachers along with sites where you can post questions and other teachers can give you ideas on what worked/did not work for them.

I think having lesson plans is a great way to have structure in your class so you know exactly what will be happening on a daily basis. I’m sure you won’t always be able to stick to the plan and will make modifications as the weeks or even as the day itself passes because you will never know what exactly will happen in class that day (what discussions may start, etc), but it is a great way to keep things moving along smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that lesson plans can seem overwhelming at first, and that we won't always be able to stay right on track. I added in a general timeline in my lesson plan, which might help me stay on track...although I don't ever want to fee like a robot or that I am rushing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never done a lesson plan either. I was freaked out at the beginning too. After doing research online and getting an idea of how to start, it pretty much developed on its own after that. In the long run, I haven't become a pro at it becaus eit does take practice but still don't feel comfortable with the whole concept. It might have taken me a little longer than other people because I got overwhelmed with the whole idea.

    ReplyDelete